Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Grammar...Ugh!

Well, I am happy that I decided to read "Mechanically Inclined," due to my terrible grammar skills.  I feel that reading over the rules a few times will make me a better speaker and writer.   Looking back at my previous experience with grammar, it is unfortunate that the schools I attended didn't deliver better instruction; I only received direct instruction until 8th grade.  However, there was one instance in 10th grade when my teacher was so mortified by my classes writing skills that she administered a mini-unit on grammar.  Was it successful?  Of course not.  She handed out worksheets, which we worked on at home and briefly during class.  Then, the teacher went over the answers.  She asked if anyone had any questions, but everyone was so embarrassed by their poor grammar skills (as sophomores), that no one bothered to admit they were still struggling.  Since then, I have never received instruction on grammar, nor have I practiced it.  However, before I began this program, I thought that if I was going to be teaching English I should know a little bit more about grammar; so I decided to purchase the book, "A Grammar Book for You and I...Oops, Me."  I managed to get through three chapters before I started craving novels, which led me to toss it aside.  However, the author is humorous, the author reads like a narrative, and their are exercises to test your skill.  I would definitely recommend it to people that want to improve their grammar.
On a different note, I'd like talk about Harper's article.  I plan on using the "writer's toolbox" in my class, because I got to see first-hand its success in Tyler Livingston's class.  The other cohort students and I started observing his class a few weeks after he had implemented the "writer's toolbox."  However, he didn't have a tangible toolbox; he had pictures of the "tools" with captions underneath them for students to reference while they were revising, drafting, or participating in the writer's workshop.  He also gave detailed handouts of the "tool" for students to paste in their journals; that way, they would always have their own copy.  Looking back at my own experience with revision, I always knew WHAT to revise, I just didn't know HOW to do it.  I feel that these tools will give my students the help I never received.

Resource Link:
This link provides a brief summary of grammar rules and is easy to use.  It also provides free online quizzes to test your skills.  The website also offers you the option of subscribing to receive quizzes not offered on their website; the quizzes provides the examiner with explanations and affords them the opportunity to manipulate the quizzes to their liking.
http://www.grammarbook.com/english_rules.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment